Service Learning Program
DeLaSalle’s Service Learning program creates, fosters and supports opportunities for students to learn and grow as servant leaders in the world today. Through the Service Learning program, students begin to understand people in need and explore ways that they can make a difference on a local and global level. DeLaSalle hopes that such service becomes a life-long habit for its graduates. In an effort to help students explore and discover their individual call to service, DeLaSalle’s Service Learning program includes the following opportunities and requirements.
Required Service Hours
- All students (including transfer students) must complete 60 hours of service in the community by Feb. 1st of their 12th grade year.
- 50% of required hours must be completed with one consistent organization/mission (church, camp, non-profit organization, etc.)*
- All service hours must be completed outside of DeLaSalle with community organizations. We are proud of the work our students do in the greater community, the impact they make, and the personal growth that transpires from reaching out to those in need.
* Note: This requirement is waived for the class of 2023 and 2024. Covid restrictions prevented students from volunteering in the greater community during 2020-21. In light of this, hours completed at school events that took place before Sept. 1, 2022 may be logged and counted as Service Learning hours.
How to Log and Track Service Hours
All students may log hours using a google form located at: Service Learning Entry Form Note: students must be logged into their school apps account when accessing the form.
Individualized emails indicating the total number of hours logged for 10th - 12th grade students will be emailed to students and families. Students wanting an update prior can reach out at anytime to email@example.com
Servant Scholar Award: Class of 2023
Servant Scholar Recognition is given to DeLaSalle graduates who have gone above and beyond in their commitment to service. These students are recognized in the graduation program and wear light blue cords at graduation.
Servant Scholar Criteria:
Complete 100 service learning hours or more with 50% of required hours dedicated to one organization/mission.
* Note: Students in the class of 2023 are exempt from the 50% requirement due to Covid restrictions
Complete the Servant Scholar Application by Dec. 15th, 2022. Applications can be found on the Service Learning page in the Islander Course on Canvas.
Complete and log all service hours by February 1st, 2023
Compete Servant Scholar Final Project (outlined in application) by February 1st, 2023
December 1: Servant Scholar Application due for those applying for award
February 1: All Service Learning Hours completed and logged for 12th grade students
February 1: Servant Scholar Final Project due
Contact for Support:
Nicole Stecklein at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-676-7608